[DeTomaso] Fw: Re: Pantera fall down go boo m :<(

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:34:02 EDT 2011

Are we not losing sight of the actual problem?

I've never had a distributor gear go bad in a Cleveland either. Except every
Cleveland I've had to date had a _flat tappet cam_ in it... hydraulic or
solid.

Now, I have a Crane roller hydraulic in one 377 Cleveland engine (and the
steel gear looks fine after 2,000 miles) and am putting together a new 377
engine with a Comp Cams solid roller. It was recommended to use the latter
with a bronze gear, so I shall do so and check occasionally until I see how
it goes. I keep getting told a bronze gear should last for at least 10,000
miles if installed correctly.

Now, I am not an expert, but from what I know, the distributor gear
'problem' starts with roller cams. Specifically, steel billet roller cams.
Different cam material, so distributor gears for cast cams don't like them.

I have read that some cam companies are now making cast roller cams. New
news to me, may be old news to some. I've also read that some companies are
installing a different gear onto the billet cam thereby letting you use the
'old' distributor gear. Whatever the case, the manufacturer should certainly
be telling us what to use with which cam.

My take on the situation is that I will add little hole to 'shotgun' the
distributor gear with oil (couldn't resist, Chuck) and I may even do half of
a JT mod with his professed liking for 'connecting the front to the back
with a hose' modification although the back oil will be coming from an
Accusump. Either way, the idea will be to get more oil there than normal for
the 'warm and fuzzy' feeling.

Stirring it up again,
Kirby