[DeTomaso] MSD distributors - WTF?

Erik Anderson eanderson at geotracinternational.com
Mon Jun 27 13:14:30 EDT 2011

OK, I am going through some major frustration in trying to replace my
Motorcraft dist with a new MSD ...

(I should note that - with the exception of the distributor - I run a
complete MSD ignition system: 6AL, tach adapter, SS blaster coil,
wires.)

The major issue with the first two MSD's I have bought (the 8477 and the
8577) is that they are too tall.  One of the wire plugs on the dist
would have to be angled and the engine cover screen would no longer be
able to go back on.  All this comes after several people have told me
that they are running both models without issue.

The speed shop here told me that I need the 8578 with a new gear:

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Ford/Street/Strip/8578_
-_Ford_351W_Small_Diameter_Pro-Billet_Distributor.aspx

I'm heading down right now to take a look.  I know, I know ... I should
have done the work myself; but I just didn't have the time this year.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
EA