[DeTomaso] NPC - RE: eBay fees a lot higher now?

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 26 13:11:29 EDT 2011

Ebay has every right to manage their company however they want.

I don't like what they're doing, but I consider it a shame and not my right
to have it the way it used to be.

In my Utopia, companies would strive to create the best possible product at
the least possible price.  That's not the way capitalism works, though.
Once companies reach a monopoly (or sometimes before), they squeeze
consumers as much as possible.  They don't care about the product anymore.
They only care about making money.  That's what's happing with ebay.

The problem is they're the #1 auction site, and #2 isn't even on the radar.
Craigs list is probably #2, but it's not an auction site.  If there was a
reasonable alternative auction website, they would be driven by the market,
and they'd stop screwing their customers.  Maybe.

In the old days, ebay was pretty cool.  Now, not so much.

I don't like that I have to click past multiple advertisements.  I'm really
getting sick of all of the ads in my life.  Cable TV is nuts.  5 minutes of
the show, 15 minutes of commercials.  Why do I have to deal with the same
garbage on ebay.  They already make enough on fees.

I don't like the fees, but I suppose they need to get revenue somewhere.  9%
is extreme, though.  If you take a look at how many items are sold and
multiply it by 1% or even .2%, they would still have a serious amount of
positive cash flow.

I don't like the search engines where you type "DeTomaso" and you get 20
pages of items that can't possibly be for anything DeTomaso - like Xenon HID
headlight kits.

But... until there's another auction site that works as well as ebay, I'm
going to continue using it.

I recently posted that I'm cleaning out my garage.  The parts are on ebay.
One auction is currently at $1.00 and another is at $1.25.  With ebay
charging 9% on the total, and with shipping calculated as actual, I'm going
to end up paying someone to take the $1 and $1.25 items.  The $1.25 item is
for 2 Mallory coils.  One of them has never been on a vehicle.  So, I can
either pay someone to take these or I can throw them in the trash.  Of
course, I'm not going to throw away a perfectly good coil, so...