[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 83, Issue 26-Dart Blocks

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 11:16:01 EDT 2011

I have been running a Dart block Windsor in my car for 6-7 years
now... My Cleveland was already 30 over but blueprinted etc
because one of the owners bent pushrods etc a while back
I decided after blowing my Sportsman windsor up  (in my mustang)  breaking
the block in several places that a Dart would be the answer
I also wanted the Windsor valve train

I have a 9.5 deck,iron block, scat crank, the longest LA billet  rods
and 411 cubic inches... as Jack states I believe it is heavy
because on both my Dart motors the casting around the
cylinder is a lot wider and I had to shave the motor mounts
on the Pantera and the mustang to clear the block

I have Brodix track 1 heads which are similar to an old SV-1  iron
head with a raised port.. My 180 headers did not fit at first
due to the higher port location... Heads were ported and flowed 330

I run a solid lifter cam, victor jr manifold- my builder told me this
is so I can get out of the turns vs a Pretty single plane manifold
and a Nascar 830 carb with I believe now has 93/89 jets and it
still seems a little lean.. compression ration is about 10 to 1 so
pump gas works although I do mix 112 with 91 half/half to what
my engine builder states-lubes the valves

I have scattered more motors than I can remember- over 10
and this is the only motor I have had in one piece for over 1 1/2
years.. It has all the good stuff inside and I do push it to 7000 rpm
going thru the turns and leaning on it...you can sometimes hear
it bear down

This motor cost me about $12k... best money I have ever spent
I do have to adjust the valves a few times a year.. I have changed
the springs once so far and they are getting ready again
My motor is about a 60 hr motor- track time and I have about 30 hours
of track time on it now.. I have backed off a little due to the new  paint
job and I am limited to tracks I can run due to the 104/105 dba noise  the
car
makes.. most tracks around Cali are 103 max... I am thinking about
changing the exhaust some- turn downs/cross but love the sound
more than anything else on the car

Someone told me that another 411 inch yellow car has about 60-70k
in the 14 1/2 compression engine

My car is edgey on the street but I do drive it a lot around town
and when on the freeway the taller gear tames the beast down
Car was never dynoed but the twin motor hit 593 at the crank with a  smaller
carb, exhaust and fuel system.. fuel system is -10 to the motor and
-8 return... car never starves except when I lost the fuel pump in  Reno

It will tear the car apart... motor mount bolt broken, deck latch  broken
several times, 180 brackets broken, 180 bolts coming off.. and I  always,
always have to retighten the inter halfshaft bolts after making a run  at
the track.. similar to my Can-am buddies car..

Car is fairly fast..can run with the Z06's, Porsches, Vipers and  close
to the ZR-1 although he did get by me after getting a good run off
the corner before the front straight in Reno

Not bad for a 40 year old car.. although the motor is only 6/7 years  old

Bob Benson #3 Black Pantera

Boyd if you want the specs I can email but that spreadsheet
is on my computer at work-shoot me an email and I can send tomorrow if
interested