[DeTomaso] Gates Green Stripe Hose

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 26 01:29:57 EDT 2011

Ken,
For the miles and time you are likely to put on your car I'm sure that
any of the Gates Green Stripe hoses (or any premium hose for that
matter) will probably outlive you and your car. In my car, after about
100K miles, the only one of the origional hoses that ever gave me
problems was the one that went to the swirl tank. It was pretty wimpy in
the early ('71) cars (don't know about later ones) and failed, I'm sure,
due to it's closeness to the headers. All the other hoses, when I pealed
them off, looked like they could go another 100K miles.

As for the Evans coolant. I looked at it fairly seriously when I started
out on ZONKEY's restoration. It sounded like the perfect coolant.
However, a bit more "research" (this was back in the 2002 time frame)
convinced me that the risk/benefit ratio was way too high. There may be
a few applications where it makes sense but I don't think a Pantera is
one of them.

Also, if you have some unique, or maybe just standard, curved hoses to
do you might want to consider doing what I did (and many Rod's do) and
replace them with stainless flex tubes with straight SS tubing brazed
(or silver soldered) on to the ends. I thought I had some pictures
online but I don't. Can supply on request!
Richard

--
-----
Sincerely, Richard Barkley

To Ski or not to Ski, that is the question!

Richard Barkley (310) 373-6695 (home)
E-mail:  rlbpantera <atsign> earthlink.net
ZONKEY'S home page: http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera
Mammoth Lakes Vacation Condo: 2BR+loft/3Bath - Horizons 4 #186 (760)
934-6758
Condo web address: http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarkley