[DeTomaso] Dart Blocks

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 11:35:57 EDT 2011

Boyd,

I haven't had the time to fully respond to your private post but the
Dart short blocks are not compatible with your choice of cylinder heads
(which, in turn, must be compatible with your high port 180 headers).
The Dart short blocks are Windsor design and 9.5" deck height with
pistons suitable for inline valve heads.  Your heads and 180's are for
9.2" deck and require pistons with reliefs for canted valves.

However, you can buy a Dart (or other aftermarket) bare block and
specify a 9.2" deck height.  Besides a stronger block, you have the
option of using a 2 piece "Forever" roller cam core.  These cores
are available for the 351W but not 351C and have a steel core but
an iron gear so you can run a standard distributor gear.

If you have a 10 quart Cleveland pan or other Cleveland based parts
you wish to re-use, they won't work on the Windsor design blocks.
Also, you'll need a unique 9.2" deck height Cleveland intake with a
Windsor end seal shape.  You were considering a Weber intake manifold.
I believe Hall still has those for A3 high port and 4V heads but they
would require an end seal extension.  Kelly Coffield made a run of
independent runner intakes that could be used with A3 and C302 heads
on either Cleveland or Windsor blocks but has sold those and has no
immediate plans to make another batch.  There are single plane 4 barrel
intakes available that do fit this combination, though.

When budgeting, remember most aftermarket blocks require considerable
machine work to be useable.  Also, the iron blocks can be quite heavy,
around 200 lbs versus 155 lbs or so for a 351C or 351W production block.
Aluminum blocks are closer to 100 to 110 lbs but cost more.

If you prefer to keep a Cleveland block and yours turns out to be bad,
you can pick up another reasonably.  There are a couple of 4 bolt main
351C blocks currently for sale locally in the $300 to $400 range.

> Dan Jones has a Fontana block he is preparing

I have a well known aluminum fetish.  One Fontana long block is together
and a second Fontana aluminum block sits waiting its turn.  In the mean
time, I'm preparing a 4 bolt main standard bore iron block with aluminum
bits (heads, intake, water pump, flywheel) and a stroker kit.   Not quite
as light as an aluminum block engine but should shave 100 lbs off the
original engine.

> You may consider one of the Cleveland aluminum blocks that are coming out.

I wish Tod well but three years later, I'm still waiting on mine.

Dan Jones