[DeTomaso] Fw: Re:  Pantera fall down go boom :<(

Chance Dorsey chance.dorsey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 18:32:31 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Can someone please explain this modification to me.  This week I FINALLY
received a Rollmaster CS3130 for my 393C build.  So I'm at the point in the
assembly of the motor where I need to either make this modification or pass
on it and move on with the build.  However, looking at the layout of where
this galley plug is in reference to where the distributor gear is has me
wondering how this is supposed to work.  First take a look at this picture:

Is the idea for the oil to "spray" at the gear?  If so, the oil plug doesn't
line up with the gear.  I understand that some of it may hit the shaft, but
only to be slung off by the spinning gear.  So is one supposed to drill the
hole at an angle in hopes of pointing the spray of oil in the right
direction?  Has anyone tested a .030 hole with 50 - 70 PSI of oil pressure
to see if it even "sprays".......OR is the oil just supposed to "dribble" (I
know such a strong word for some) down the block on the gear?  If so, what
would this provide that the oil return hole just to the side of the gear
doesn't?

There's also the possibility that I'm completely in left field with my
comprehension of this  (It wouldn't be the first time)  However, this is
starting to sound like the "ole' oil return line" fix that has so famously
followed the Cleveland around for years.  I'm not saying it's wrong.....I
just don't understand it.

Thanks,

Chance