[DeTomaso] Sound Deadener [WAS: The Answer: #93 from the Icky Old Man Institute of Research]

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 17:43:50 EDT 2011

FWIW...

Dynamat Xtreme:

Lightweight elastomeric butyl based core

Can withstand temperature extremes between -65°F and +300°F
(-54°C to +149°C)
Fire Classification: Flammable, but meets FMVSS 302*
No MSDS, merely a technical spec document with marketing information the manufacturer/vendor wishes to share. Unfortunately I could not find a published MSDS for Dynamat Xtreme or Dynamat

Dynamat (original):
Styrene-Butyadine-Rubber based core
Can withstand temperature extremes between -22F to +350F (-30C to +177C)
Fire Classification: Flammable, but meets FMVSS 302*

Peel & Seal:
Styrene-Butyadiene-Styrene block copolymer (10-20%) and Asphalt (40-60%) - Arguably the exact same compound as used in Dynamat, unfortunately I could not find a published MSDS for Dynamat.

Fire Classification: Has not been certified against FMVSS302; MSDS states "There is no potential for fire or explosion."

MSDS: http://solutions.mfmbp.com/MFM%20MSDS%20PEEL%20AND%20SEAL.pdf
Note that I will conduct my own flammability test before installing in my car this weekend.

Anyone have a scrap of Dynamat I can set fire to for comparison sake?

There are also other alternatives to Dynamat too, some marketed as 'automotive sound deadeners' and others as industrial sound deadener/insulation products such as those available from McMaster Carr or Grainger.

* FMVSS 302 was adopted in 1971 and became effective for vehicle model 1972.

  - This standard set a flame spread rate not to exceed 102 mm/m. This was deemed adequate for the occupant to stop the vehicle and exit without serious harm.

  - FMVSS 302 is applicable to interior components including seating, door panels, headliner, carpet, seat belts, air bags, package shelves, instrument panels, steering wheel covers and padding, etc. (note – this is not everything – just some examples)
  - More details: http://www.a2la.org/conclaves/conclave2009/minutes/Materials%20Testing%20Advisory%20Committee%20Summary%20-%20Attachment%201.pdf