[DeTomaso] how do you remove upper starter nut?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 12:42:17 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/21/11 9 29 32, johnmaffeo1 at yahoo.com writes:

> I have had a high torque mini starter on my car for about 6 years. It
> died and I
> have already received the replacement. However, I cannot remember how to
> get the
> top nut off. An 11/16 socket fits on the bottom one, but the nut sits too
> close
> to the starter motor to get a socket on there. Regular wrenches don't have
> enough clearance. Is there a special tool or trick? It is sunny today and
> would really like to take the car out for a spin.

Push-start it!

Seriously--the fasteners for the starter are metric, not standard.   You
may have some luck sneaking a 17mm socket in there, but you may need to grind
it for clearance.   I seem to recall having luck with a short 17mm socket
and a wobble extension.   May have to install the socket first, then stick the
extension in once the socket is in place.

I've also had luck with an open end wrench from above, turning it about
1/16th of a turn and flipping the wrench over etc.   It's a real nuisance
though.

Recently I ordered a batch of special serrated flange nuts, which have the
same thread size/pitch, but only a 15mm head.   That makes all the
difference when trying to install/remove them.   They were only 50 cents apiece, so I
ordered ten of them.

Send me your address and I'll pop a pair in the mail to you.   Of course,
if you are successful at R&R your starter today, you won't need them.