[DeTomaso] Pantera fall down go boom :<(

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Mon Jun 20 15:04:20 EDT 2011

Dear Fellow Engine Rookie(!),

          That is a good question.  IIRC, the main argument for a gear drive
was more accurate cam timing and,therefore, a bit more power.  The main
attraction for gear drive was the reportedly neat gear drive sound and/or
whine.   If cold objective tests show that neither of the main reasons for
gear drives trumps the power and reliability of good ol' double roller
timing chains, then the use of the gear drives then seems to be based on
"they sound good".

          Now , saying that, I will confess that my engines have used timing
chains.  I do have a gear drive set that I was going to use on a low
compression, high mileage project in the future.  If the news and facts
about Mike's failure are correct, then I might forecast that someday I will
have a cool sounding, low power, high mileage Cleveland when gas is
$10/gallon!!!

         Have you started building an engine??

                 Warmest regards, The Original Engine Rookie