[DeTomaso] Pantera fall down go boom :<(

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 20 09:32:00 EDT 2011

I am certainly not an expert on this.  I appreciate that materials play a
big role in compatibility, but I don't have a clue about which are
compatible.

But, I can see a pattern.  I've seen a lot of failures with 351C
hydraulic-flat, solid-roller, and hydraulic-roller engines, both in the
valve train and the distributor gear.

I don't remember seeing any with solid-flat tappets.

I don't believe that Mike's distributer gear failed because of the rev
limiter.  I also don't believe it was the oil pump.  The gear should be
strong enough for the pump.  It is on all of the other distributer driven
pumps.  Granted, a lower pressure pump might allow the gear to live.  The
same is likely true for the oil hole drilled in the plug.

I do believe, however, that I need to get ready for work.  And that's all I
believe this morning.