[DeTomaso] A/C Rebuild - Vents

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 23:55:16 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/19/11 20 29 51, mazdastuff at yahoo.com writes:

> Bill Taylor's Gearhead database also list 1969-1970 Thunderbird Vents
> also.

The USA-made T-bird vents are vaguely similar, but not the same as the
original Italian vents.   For years I had some vents which I was told were these
T-bird vents; although they had the same general appearance, they were
marginally narrower and thus wouldn't fit properly in the De Tomaso vent
surround.   I imagine you'd have to have the T-bird surround also, in order to make
them work.

(That is, presuming the vents I had were what I was told they were, and not
from something else).

If you installed these vents in a Pantera, nobody would know the
difference, but they aren't the same as the Italian ones, so you'd have to switch all
of them over together.

The two-pod dashes had a steel surround for the vents, which was
upholstered in naugahyde.   The single-pod-dash cars had the same vent in a cheap
plastic surround--all part of Ford's ongoing effort to make the cars cheaper and
easier to build.

I think the Euro GTS with its fiberglass single-pod dash, used upholstered
Pre-L steel vent surrounds?   At least the early ones did?