[DeTomaso] A/C Rebuild - Vents

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 15:07:29 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/19/11 10:27:23 AM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> What about adding a fresh air system to the cowl area?  Necessary?  Has
> anyone done this?

Yes- back in the late '90s, I bored two 2-1/4" holes in the bottom of the
cowl, after removing the wiper grills. a 2-1/4" hole saw is the max that
clears the opening so unless you can do major bodywork easily, this about the
limit. Thru the holes, I dropped two fabricated steel fillings with flanges on
the top and soldered 90 degree copper sweat-solder fittings to the bottoms.
The placement is such the one is aimed directly at the driver's seat while
the other comes down between the glove box and A/C box, aimed at the
passenger seat.
I made a couple of throttle plates and arms controlled by small rods to
open or close the new vents. In the cowl, the fittings were RTV-ed to the
bottom and stand 1/4" above the bottom so no collected rainwater leaks, and I
used two aluminum beer cans with big slots in their sides as rain-baffles. The
cans are held in place by the wiper grills. 100% of this was done with the
dash and interior in place, by the way. But you gotta be really careful in
your measurements.... Most people don't even notice them. Now we get a nice
blast of cooling air at any speed, and they turn off completely in the winter.
Total cost was in the $5 range. FWIW- J DeRyke