[DeTomaso] About porting a Performer Air-Gap

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 14:06:52 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/18/11 17 52 8, davel at emspace.com writes:

> So I end up with all these choices
>
> a. Leave it alone as Edelbrock says. (nice to shed one biggish job)
> b. Take it out to 2.30 x 1.56
> c. Take it out to 2.5 x 1.75 (I'd have to be careful about material
> thickness)
> d. Take it out to some other dimension
>
> What do you think maestro?

Dan will obviously weigh in with a much more educated opinion.   But I can
say that when we dynoed my 408 stroker with numerous different intakes,
including this one, that it performed exceptionally well until about 5000 rpm or
so, at which point performance tailored off.   But it had the meatiest
torque numbers below 5000 of any intake we tested (going from memory here; Dan
will certainly provide the actual data and correct that assertion slightly).

It seems that the Air Gap is a great place to start.   I don't know if
porting it will hurt the bottom end in exchange for greater high-end
performance.   But if you don't plan to be ripping around at high rpm, leaving it alone
might provide the best solution?