[DeTomaso] Vacuum booster

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 00:08:30 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/15/11 4:54:25 PM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> You bring up an interesting question.  Do stock Pantera vacuum-assists
> have any residual pressure?  If my car were currently running (same long
> story), I guess I could check.

That connector on the bottom where the vacuum line plugs in, is a check
valve. What sometimes happens is, the engine vacuum line sucks oil, and
eventually the oil works its way up front. If it gets inside past the check valve,
the oil attacks the rubber diaphragm and it cracks. But the valve I had
trouble with is housed in the back, protruding through the mounting plate behind
the pedal. I may have overstressed it in mounting it originally; it's a
complex plastic thingy, easily cracked. I was going to reproduce it in billet
aluminum when Byars told me to send it back & they'd fix it. FWIW- J DeRyke