[DeTomaso] New Carb - high idle

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Mon Jun 6 08:24:51 EDT 2011

Erik, is it a new carb? I would look at the vacuum diaphragm for the
secondaries. Back in the old day when I still bought Holleys (Soapbox: Buy a
Summit carb, it is much better), I've experienced the diaphragm go hard
within a year, ok the car didn't drive much, but still.

Drive the car, stop, go out and look when it's still idling fast, are the
secondaries still slightly open and slowly closing? If they are, can you by
hand close them and does it help?

Or is the choke fast idle sticking? Sometimes if you take the choke off, you
can put it back on with the rod on the wrong side of the red lever.

There are other possibilities, including non-carb vacuum leaks, but I'd
start with secondaries.

Mikael