[DeTomaso] NPC: DOHC or Pushrod holy war.....Was: New CorvetteEngine

corey price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 18:38:49 EDT 2011

The modulars were designed to run transverse, just like the Northstar.  I just saw a transverse 4.6 DOHC in a Lincoln today at the junkyard while picking up some Taurus window motors.  That's why they share a crappy bore spacing, which spilled over to the new 5.0 Coyote, in order to avoid major retooling.  It also dictated what Ford could do with the 5.4 in the GT and found it easier to supercharge than get the rpm range up due to the long stroke (or something like that).  I bet it seemed like a great thing at the time, but it really hurt the engine in the long run since not many cars have transverse-mounted modulars.

The new DOHC 5.0 Coyote weighs 440 lbs complete, and makes 440+ hp in the Boss variant.  Reported to be stable to 8400 rpm, the Boss motor is very alluring to me, but I'm probably going to stick with the Cleveland.

The new 6.2 liter SOHC truck motor has a wider bore spacing (115 mm), variable valve timing, double spark plugs, and only two valves per cylinder.

Just my two cents again.