[DeTomaso] ZF - I think we're good to go

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Thu Jun 2 00:18:54 EDT 2011

Well, after considering John Buckman's analysis of the depth of the TO
bearings I have and had (no difference), and taking the car for another
drive, I think I'm going to leave sleeping dogs lie and get down off the
porch to Reno.

As I've mentioned, I do only have about 1.6-1.7 mm of play at the slave,
less than the recommended 2-2.5.  I took the car for a drive this evening,
and while I feel only a micron of play at the top of the pedal, it hooks up
good and solid more than an inch from the top of the travel.  I took the car
out, got it reasonably warm, put it in fifth gear at about 25 and gave it
good throttle, the engine wasn't too happy about starting down that low, but
there was absolutely no slip in the clutch.  I pulled to a stop, first and
about 2500 rpms, and dumped the clutch: instant spin of the tires but not
the clutch.

The one thing that crossed my mind was that I may not have fully pressed the
TO bearing onto the carrier.  If that's the case, with head, cold and use it
may well finish the seating for me.  We'll see if I have any more play when
I get to Reno.

I think the worst I might be risking is a prematurely worn throw out bearing
(10,000 miles instead of 30,000).  So I'm going to work the last couple of
issues an hit the road.  Most of the drive is open road with little
shifting, and It's not a disengagement issue, so no risk I see to the fresh
ZF.

Thanks to all for the support and encouragement when I was feeling as though
I wanted to throw in the towel.  Chris K. is right.  You guys are all the
best.

SEE YOU IN RENO!!
Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest