[DeTomaso] No Pantera in Reno - My Luck Runneth Out

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Wed Jun 1 14:12:57 EDT 2011

Mike,

Let's take a few steps back and look at this.  From you description, it would appear that the clutch
may not be engaging fully.  Do you have any free play at the slave cyl adjusting bolt?  Is the clutch
arm return spring installed, and is it strong enough to move the clutch arm against the free play
adjusting bolt stop?  If you do not have any free play at the slave cyl and can't adjust any, then you may
have to remove the clutch arm and rotate it one spline.

I have both a Quella T/O bearing (China) and a National boxed Federal Mogul 1625 bearing (Mexico)
in hand.  The total thickness of the 1625 bearing is approximately 0.070" thicker than the Quella bearing.
That, in itself, should not create a problem.    The center race (the part that is pressed onto the T/O
bearing hub carrier) of the 1625 bearing is thinner (narrower) than the overall thickness of this bearing.
The excess thickness of this 1625 bearing is at the back side of the bearing, toward the transaxle, NOT
towards the pressure plate fingers.  The actual thickness of the center race is exactly the same (give or
take a thou) as the Quella bearing that I have.  The net of all of this is that the face of these two bearings,
when installed, are in exactly the same place.

John