[DeTomaso] Chops Suitably Busted - ZF Coming Out

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Wed Jun 1 08:12:58 EDT 2011

OK, you guys have sufficiently threatened to relegate me to the Nancy club
if don't wrench up and get to work.  The REAL work is a major buster this
week with the Air Force coming in while I'm to be playing with y'all to
crawl up our F22 Avionics System Design knickers and make sure we're not
wasting your tax payer dollars, but I WILL FIND A WAY.  Guess I am tired of
wrenching after a month of getting this far, only to have to take 5 steps
back with days to go.

'Couple questions.

I've pulled the ZF by itself before, but it was just after engine
installation, and nothing was hooked back up.  Here's what I remember, with
added notes from Asa Jay.
- Disconnect battery
- Remove starter
- Disconnect half-shafts
- Remove clutch slave
- Move A/C condenser out of the way
- Disconnect reverse light switch
- Remove rear support bolts
Plus
- Remove spreader bar
- Disconnect shift linkage and speedometer cable
Simple enough, but since I need to "roll" the engine forward to be able to
pull the ZF away and clear the rear frame, I'll also need to
- Drain coolant and disconnect thermostat and water pump coolant tubes
- Disconnect headers
- Disconnect and remove AC compressor and relocated alternator
- Pull the top of the distributor
Anything else anyone can think of?

Wish me luck - here's to hoping the problem IS just the wrong throw out.