[DeTomaso] Electrical problem from Japan

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 26 10:27:51 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I've been helping a Japanese Pantera owner named Hiro sort out various
problems with his Pantera.   Today he wrote to me:

=====

Actually it seems a few problems at my Pantera.
After 1 hour night driving with Japanese traffic jam about 20 minutes,
I waited a friend with keeping idles for 2 or 3 minutes.
When I moved to another place, suddenly engine stalled and no restarted.
Lighting at head or meters did work but not ignited even turned key.
Just heard click sound from a relay.

Next day, it worked without any special repair.
I measured volt at battery, 11.5V.
>From alternator, 9.7V at idling and 14V at racing to 4000rpm.
Amp meter shows 0 at idling and less than 75, about 50??
(my amp meter is from Hall for 100 amp alternator)

After short break, I turned key again but not ignited again...
I hit softly the starter sometimes and tried.  It worked.  I am not sure if
the hitting starter made him got up or not.

Alternator : from PMI 1 year ago
Battery : optima red 1 year ago
Starter : seems normal

Do you have any advice to check?

Regards,
Hiro

========

It sounds to me like a simple case of a bad one-wire alternator that fails
to provide enough energy at low rpm.   9.7 volts at idle just isn't right.
So my advice was to replace it with a properly engineered 90-100 amp
three-wire alternator (and while he's at it, he might as well put a new
mini-starter in as well).

Do any of you have any other ideas worth exploring?   (We already covered
the need to check for good ground, good electrical connections etc.).

Since Hiro isn't on the forum, please 'reply all' so that he will get to
see what you have to say.

THANKS!