[DeTomaso] Loctite vs. lock washers - you be the judge

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 17:15:15 EDT 2011

18 lbs was Dennis' spec

  _____

From: MikeLDrew at aol.com [mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:58 PM
To: mbefthomas at comcast.net; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Loctite vs. lock washers - you be the judge

In a message dated 7/23/11 12 25 11, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

I'm putting the new McLeod clutch in the Pantera that I purchased from D.
Quella.  In the factory installation instructions it advises not to use lock
washers on the pressure plate bolts, but rather to use Loctite.  What sayeth
the forum?

>>>The potential problem with split locking washers is that they can break,
and the two halves fall out, leaving the fastener completely loose.  There
are other types of locking washers which are not split and thus are not
subject to this danger, but standard washers can compress and deform when
the bolt is tightened on them too.  Normally clutches are fastened using
bolts and hardened flat washers, which will not deform in the same way.

>Is this due to the frequent heat cycling effect on the metal in a lock
washer over time?  Would I want to use blue or red Loctite?  In there with
blue, flat washers and 18 lbs for now.

>>>Presuming this is the specified torque, I think you're fine.  Normally
such bolts are torqued to a certain specification after being dipped in
motor oil, but Loctite is certainly an excellent belt-and-suspenders backup.