[DeTomaso] ZF ACORN NUTS

LEVITT1946 at aol.com LEVITT1946 at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 10:43:57 EDT 2011

Dear Friends,

For months I have been having reverse issues with my ZF. Replaced the
slave,master cylinder,bled the system about 1,000 times.

Before restoration of the body I removed the engine and the ZF but kept
them together.

I had asked the restoration shop to beautify the rear cover of the ZF by
installing chrome acorn nuts. To install the acorn nuts you would first
remove  the original nut and then put the acorn nut on and tighten up the acorn
nut. The  problem is that the acorn nut cannot tighten all the way because
the stud in a  few places is too long. The stud located at 10:30 on the back
cover is crucial.  Not knowing.....my restoration shop installed the acorn
nuts and when the  nut bottomed out they just tightened away pushing the stud
into the ZF REAR  casing. I backed out the stud located at 10:30 and put the
original nut in  place and then covered it with the acorn nut.

REVERSE IS NOW SHIFTING LIKE BUTTER.

Just thought you should all know.

Regards,
Bob Levitt