[DeTomaso] Steering Rack Rebuild - reassembly help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 18:30:21 EDT 2011

Julian, there should be no play in the tie rod ends at all, and the
tightness of the nut is irrelevant since the tierod stud is a very tight tapered
fit into a matching tapered hole in the steering arm. Unless someone bored the
taper out.... Repro tie rod ends are pretty cheap nowadays and Larry has
them in stock.
I think I remember wide-body racks taking a slightly different size bushing
as a press-fit in their aluminum rack-end- assuming nothing was done over
its life to open up the bushing receptical. Good luck- loose steering is no
fun at all- J Deryke