[DeTomaso] ZF problems - need advice please

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 15:06:54 EDT 2011

If it was shifting fine before, it sounds more likely that the clutch is not
fully disengaging, rather than a problem in the transmission itself.

Things to check:
1. Is your clutch master reservoir full?  If not, top it off (to about
1/2-3/4" below the lip.
2. Is there any seepage of hydraulic fluid at the top or bottom of the slave
cylinder?  If at the top, make sure the fluid line and/or bleed nipple are
tight.  If at the bottom, when the car is warm, have someone get in the car
and press the clutch down and hold it.  While they are doing this, watch the
slave cylinder on the bellhousing.  If while holding the pedal down, the
slave starts to slowly collapse and the lever arm on the bell starts to come
back straight up, you are leaking fluid from the seals in the bore.  If you
find this, you'll need to pull the slave and rebuild or replace it.  If you
have a later model car with the clutch effort reduction kit, a long throw
slave is a good idea.
3. Somewhat more difficult to check: under the dash, just above the
accelerator, is the lever arm and plunger for the clutch master cylinder.
The plunger will be under a rubber bellows-style boot.  Try to crawl under
there with a flashlight and see if there is any fluid leaking down from
around the boot, or reach up in there and see if you can feel fluid.  If
damp, you need to remove and rebuild/replace your clutch master.

Check these and let us know what you find.

Good luck
Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest
Yellow '74 L #6328