[DeTomaso] Ac compressor questions

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:19:03 EDT 2011

The Sanden 508   reportedly  has issues above 5000 rpm, after viewing
Sanden's web page
 (http://www.sanden.com/index.php?tag=U5H0AMX7Q )
I saw that they have some more advanced designs with internally controlled
pressure valves, variable displacement and max operating rpm of 8000. Does
anybody know if any of the more advanced designs can be used in the Pantera?
I have heard anecdotal stories that the Pantera equipped with the Sanden 508
and R134 was still not terrible effective at cooling the car in very hot
weather or when the car is operated at high speed. I know the vacuum created
at the back of the car at speeds in excess of 70 mph is responsible to a
great degree in the difficulties faced at high speed operation and can be
remedied by moving the condenser to the front of the car but the prospect of
a more efficient, higher capacity compressor with built in pressure control
and higher max rpm operating range is appealing. Any information on using
other compressor models would be appreciated.
Boyd

P.S.
 Why do they refer to the Sanden AC compressor as "Rotary" when it is in
fact piston operated?