[DeTomaso] July POCA newsletter and distributor installation

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 01:22:47 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/7/11 6:01:43 PM, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> The article mentions that the gear should have a 0.010" clearance to the
> block boss and should never touch the block. This is just plain wrong and
> will potentially destroy your distributor. The boss acts as a thrust
> bearing, and it is what takes up the axial loads of the distributor shaft from the
> load of the oil pump through the spiral gears.

Thomas, I don't know what to tell you. Looking at the distributor boss on
my OEM '72 block, the junk block in my photos and a third block I have in
stock. none show any trace of contact between the boss and the distributor
gear. I also have a 351-Windsor block that shows no trace of gear contact. So
apparently 0.010" static clearance is very close to what's needed. Whether the
gear then pulls down to kiss the block in operation, or whether there's
still an oil film between, I don't know- but there's definitely been no metal
to metal contact on these 4 examples. All used standard oil pumps during
their operation, so maybe the loads imparted were not high enough to pull the
assembly into full metal-to-metal contact.
 Bud Hower has brazed a bronze washer to the base of his gear on the
example block that showed actual metal to metal contact, so after he gets some
miles on the rebuilt motor, we can see how this works as an actual thrust
bushing.   Cheers- J Deryke