[DeTomaso] Racing Oils - The Good, The Bad and The Slippery

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sun Jul 3 14:35:13 EDT 2011

I have some view on synthetics. While synthetics are very slippery they
can have some pitfalls. I have heard of individuals who have switched to
pure synthetics and during very brief interruptions of pressures during
turns had main and rod bearing failures; It happened that quick. It is
so slick it does not stay on the surface as long as dino oils. I know of
one individual who vows never to run pure synthetics again although
blends may be ok.

A second problem came about when Shell made a pure synthetic oil for
aviation. They soon found engines were not making TBO (time between
overhaul). Propellers were also failing (propellers which change
position through oil. What they found was syntetic oil could not break
down sludge the way dino oils could. Shell was sued by several engine
makers and lost quite a bit over the deal. As far as I know there are no
pure synthetics for piston airplanes anymore. There are for turbines of
course but that is a different animal.

The problem with sludge in aviation came because avgas still has some
lead in it. The synthetic can not break it down. Now we don't run leaded
fuel in cars but there are still things in blowby synthetic still cannot
break down as well as dino oil.

Now they add additives for this, for that, to help break this down, to
help extend the viscosity range, but before you know it there more
additives and less and less oil.

For these reasons I avoid full synthetics.

Gary