[DeTomaso] Tukey Pan Gasket

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 16:48:54 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/2/11 10 59 20, mgreen008 at triad.rr.com writes:

> A neighbor is installing a new intake and was wondering about using a
> turkey pan gasket. Is the turkey pan in addition to or replaces the normal
> intake gaskets? Any tips on installing one? I've read about them on the
> Mustang forums and thought I'd get input. Thanks.

Well, on a 351C, the turkey pan gasket IS the 'normal' gasket.   They were
never originally intended to use what we conventionally think of as
two-piece gaskets, although the gasket manufacturers sell both styles.

I've had great success with Fel-Pro gaskets by following the included
directions to the letter.   I use gasket cinch to glue the included paper gaskets
to the cylinder heads, then lay the turkey tray in place, I use the
included end seals that so many people say to discard (and use RTV instead), and
put a dab of RTV in the corners.   I'll coat the top of the intake with a very
light coating of grease.

Doing so allows me to remove and reinstall the intake once or twice without
doing any harm to the gasket.   No leaks so far!