[DeTomaso] R.S. Thermo & restrictor plate ??

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 03:08:20 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/29/11 18 01 52, b.hower3400 at yahoo.com writes:

> Was Ford's original intent for the hat/foot to totally block off that
> hole when the thermostat is open?

For years, I thought so, but the answer is a definite 'no'.

If you look at the other Ford engines, they all have a bypass hose which
routes a certain amount of water past the radiator--some water just flows back
into the water pump.

The 351C accomplishes this same thing by way of the 'hat' on the thermostat
and the hole in the ring through which it passes.   John Christian did the
math for me one day, comparing the total area of the opening in the bypass,
with the total area of the hat which partially blocks it off.   Do the
subtraction, and the remaining area is almost exactly the same as the area of the
bypass hose on a 289/302/351W, and the FE motors.

Clever chaps, those Ford engineers. :>)