[DeTomaso] starter fit

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 00:09:34 EST 2011

The nose I bought is PN 54-064 which comes on a 54-10018 starter.  Summit lists it here as fitting a BOSS 351:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TIL-54-10018/Application/?query=Year%7c1971%7cMake%7cFORD%7cModel%7cMUSTANG&prefilter=1

The starter gear reaches 0.23 inches from the mounting surface towards the ring gear and looks good in relation to the ring gear.  The clearance in shown in the attached photo.

Since a Cleveland used the same flywheel and bell housing as a Windsor, the only difference could be depth, but it seems like the depth should be the same or the trans input shaft would not properly engage the bearing depth in the flywheel?

There are also different pinion gears.  The tech guy at Tilton checked my starter PN vs the 54-10018 and they were the same, so I just had to swap noses (at least in theory, LOL)

Ken