[DeTomaso] A-Arms

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 14:23:28 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/26/11 3:30:48 PM, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> I am sourcing parts for some tubular front a-arms. I got some Chrysler
> Ball Joints but they raise the ball about 1/2" higher then the Pantera Ball
> joint. I am looking for screw in or bolt on ball joints.

Howe Racing offers take-apart Chrysler-type ball joints in various lengths;
the studs are offered separately. You need the correct 7 degree taper studs
on whatever ball joints you use and Chrysler screw-in ball joints are the
correct taper for Fords/Panteras. Never checked Mangustas. IMHO, its far
easier to adjust the position of the threading in a custom a-arm recepticle than
to change the taper from GM screw-ins (the only other choice). On our '72,
I used Chrysler non-take-apart upper ball joints at all 6 positions, but
shortened the studs to Pantera length. With slow, light cuts (I used a tool
post grinder), Chrysler ball joint studs can be center-drilled, shortened &
rethreaded on a lathe, as long as its never been lubed. Once lube is pumped in,
the stud will shift around far too easily.
See April '08 POCA News with photos: I cut the threads off Chrysler
screw-in ball joint bodies and pressed them in place 'cause the available (very
expensive!) tap will cut full depth threads that are rattly-loose on the
half-height threads of the ball joint bodies, and the tap seemed to thin the stock
upper rear a-arm recepticle too much for good strength. So far (4 yrs now)
no problems. Good luck, Bill- J DeRyke