[DeTomaso] key not working

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 18:27:51 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/26/11 13 32 53, deserttwist at juno.com writes:

> Hi guys, I am having a little problem with my key.  At times the key
> won't go all the way in so that you can turn it.  The trim ring seems to get
> stuck in and I have to get a little screw driver and force it to pop out so
> that the key can go all the way in to start the car.  Has anyone else had
> this problem and what should I do about it.  Can I get a whole new locking
> and key system or just spray it with some kind of oil?  I am affraid to drive
> somewhere and take the key out or I may not be able to get home.
> Embarrassing when driving such a nice car! HELP!  Sue

Sue,

This is a VERY common problem.   Check out these two photos:

The first shows the ignition switch with the key installed.   The tumbler
moves inwards slightly, which then allows it to turn.   The second photo
shows the switch with the key removed and the face of the tumbler flush with the
trim ring around it.

The problem is that the tumbler can get stuck in.   When you withdraw the
key, if it stays stuck in, the next time you try to insert the key, you can't
get it in all the way, which prevents it from turning.   As technique, if
you put a slight side load on the key when you withdraw it, it will drag the
tumbler with it.

As a backup, I carry a tool made from a simple paper clip, in the glovebox.
  Just straghten the clip, and then use a pair of needlenose pliers to make
a very small 90-degree bend at the end.   In practice, if the tumbler gets
stuck, just insert the hook, rotate 90 degrees so it will catch the inside
of the tumbler, then pull it out so it sits flush.   Then rotate back 90
degrees and remove the tool.

Any auto parts store sells auto lock lubrication.   This is absolutely
marvelous stuff; it sprays through a red plastic tube like WD-40, but unlike
WD-40, it's formulated specifically for locks.   I had some sticking locks on
my cars, and also my house, and this stuff just transformed them in no time.
 I highly recommend that you (and everyone, in fact) get a can of that
stuff and use it on every lock you have.

Cheers!