[DeTomaso] Fwd: NPC: Clunker Math

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue Jan 25 13:03:39 EST 2011

I tend to avoid voicing my political opinion too much on the forum (I don't want to offend any of the people who have given and continue to give me help with my Pantera), but I will say this:  Last year I went to a car show, and one of the "contests" they did was to have people guess how long a car would last with all the fluids drained and a brick on the accelerator.  The car they used was something like a mid-80's Cordoba; not a car I care about, but just as nice (or nicer) than my first car.  I watched with morbid fascination as this perfectly good car was ruined right before my eyes.  The rationale behind it was that this car was one of the cash for clunkers trade-ins and had to be ruined anyway.  I thought of my son who, after working hard toward the goal, recently finished paying off his first car, yet the car in the "contest" one was simply wasted.

Watching the car go up in smoke, I felt the same way I did when I saw a video of the band Green Day smashing and burning their instruments at the end of a concert--sick to my stomach.  I was a young drummer once, and saved every cent I could to buy good-quality equipment, and now I see that idiot Green Day drummer destroying perfectly good drums and cymbals.

That kind of indescriminant waste of resources is criminal, whether sanctioned by the Government or a rich, spoiled celebrity.

That's my opinion, of course.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I do admit to putting a firecracker in a Johnny Lightning when I was a kid and blowing it up just for kicks.

Sincerely,

Chris