[DeTomaso] Sunroof

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 15:30:38 EST 2011

Not sure about this one, but the 'original' concept-car- a '75 we think is
the original Geneva Auto Show Pantera that DeTomaso had on display- doesn't
buffet at speeds up to 140 mph and does not have a wind deflector. Two
design problems: First, the removable steel insert is thick, so the framework
around it reduces the headroom inside; significant if you are tall. Second,
DeTomaso's solution to sealing and water drains around the insert was less than
durable: the sheet metal drain spigots rusted through over the years, and
the rubber drain hoses deteriorated. Both are virtually inaccessible to
rework without removing the headliner and maybe cutting into the roof.
Another, better adaption may be an Aussie pushbutton Pantera: it appears to
have a Honda Civic electric-sliding roof insert, which solves the
stop-remove-and-store the insert when you want to go open, and its quite a bit
thinner and smaller in length than the '75's. Never ridden in it so dunno about
buffeting. The roof contour is identical to the stock Pantera roof panel. Note
that neither of these has a glass insert; both are solid steel when in
place. I have no opinion on the tilting glass panels so beloved by rice-rockets &
 low-riders.   FWIW- J DeRyke