[DeTomaso] evaporator/heater unit

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 14:24:42 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/21/11 9:33:17 PM, WLHPANTERA at aol.com writes:

> I'm going to have to replace my ventilation fan motor & am not looking
> forward to the job.
> Bill Harris

Bill, its possible to R & R the heater fan with the dash in place. I didn't
believe it until Jim Kuehne told me he'd done it twice. Basically, you
remove the three screws that hold the motor split-clamp on, then remove the
impeller shrouds and outboard fan impeller. The thing comes right out. And Jim's
hands & fingers are at least twice as big as mine!
Two difficulties: you can only see two of the 3 screws on the split clamp
and must work by touch for the 3rd, while you're laying across the console
with head under the dash. Look at the shop manual exploded view before
starting to familiarize your fingers with the screw locations. The impellers are
also unbelievably fragile and crack easily if you try manhandling things. A
cacked impeller will vibrate out of balance and make noise. It's also possible
to reinstall the impeller backward while reassembling things If you do
this, little air comes out. Reversing the wires does nothing- the impeller must
be re-removed and reversed on the shaft. Do not ask how I found this
out.....Good luck- J DeRyke