[DeTomaso] Coil overs

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 14:30:37 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/20/11 10:35:20 AM, D421996 at aol.com writes:

> Where is the best place to get coil overs for a 74?  What does Koni
> charge for rebuilding?  Mine is a street car not a race car, any  thoughts?

Quella is a Koni dealer and he supplies the needed bolt-spacers for
Panteras- 4 per shock with his coil-overs. Cut rate dealers don't even supply them.
Rebuilding charges vary depending on whats needed inside. Dunno if the
rebuild is still free- as it used to be if you were an original owner and had
your receipt. You still had to pay shipping both ways.
Koni makes several models and IMHO the best ones are the Koni gas shocks.
The pressure inside is high enough to generate 40-45 lbs of extra spring
strength which should be calculated into your spring selection. Other brands use
much lower gas pressure so its not a concern with them. Gas is used to cut
foaming and resulting damping changes on bumpy roads. High pressure gas
shocks can be mounted upside-down for a small decrease in unsprung weight
w/better handling; same theory as using magnesium wheels or vented brake rotors.
My wife's Pantera is also a street car but we run Koni gas shocks. Contrary
to some reports, rod-ends instead of rubber or plastic bushings in Koni's
do NOT increase road noise in a Pantera. They do increase steering
sensitivity. We love them! Whatever brand you buy, get a real shock-spanner for
adjusting coil-over spring height. Pipe wrenches, Channel-lock pliers and
screwdrivers w/hammer are all marks of the ill-prepared owner and will ruin the
adjusting nut in short order. The spanners are cheap.   Good luck- J DeRyke