[DeTomaso] The joys of being Drewsastered

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 11:45:04 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/20/11 0 15 59, LaurieFerrari at aol.com writes:

> What Mike didn't tell you is that he scared the heebee geebees out of
> me,
> thinking that my Gotti wheel might have failed.
>
>>>I couldn't think of another reason for a tire to go from fully inflated
(as it visually appeared to be) to fully deflated in just a few seconds.   A
nail in the tire would have acted much more slowly.   It's amazing that the
tire held its shape and the car apparently drove just fine, with no air in
the tires!

She was complaining about difficultly with low-speed steering and I did ask
if, ahem, there was enough air in the tires?   I guess I should have asked
if there was ANY air in the tires! :>)

> >And it hasn't  been years
> since I've checked...ahhh, maybe just one year : )
>
>>>Somehow I rather doubt that. :>)

> > End result, tire was
> fine once revived, wheel also fine. Tires are now  full of air and I'm
> ready to
> go on another adventure.  Let's see  what can happen next time.
>
>>>Hopefully it doesn't involve the tow truck!

> >Oh by the
> way, Mikey didn't tell you how  beautifully it drove though (the Pantera I
> mean, we all know the Vette,  which is curse proof, drove fine).
> Tell them about my Webers.
>
>>>I only got to drive the car on and off the tow truck. :>)   But I was
surprised at how well the car drove overall (from the passenger seat).
Laurie's car has a very unique induction system; she has an Edelbrock Performer
intake (if memory serves) topped with a B&M supercharger, which is fed by a
pair of side-draft Webers.   I don't know what size they are, but I hope they
are huge, because it seems to me that only two side-draft Webers would be
insufficient to feed an engine like this?

The linkage is fascinating.   For the first half of pedal movement, only
the left-side carburetor is used at all.   It basically acts like the primary
side of a four-barrel carburetor.   Only when the pedal goes past the
halfway point does the linkage take up, and the secondary side start to open up.

Webers are notoriously fiddly and cantakerous.   Starting the car was more
than a little difficult, but this was down to the fact that it had been
allowed to sit for months and months, always a bad idea!   Once some fresh gas
got to the carbs (another story!) the car actually ran beautifully, and it
started easily as well.   Quite a surprise.