[DeTomaso] Laurie Ferrari, Drewsastered! :>)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 19 20:03:13 EST 2011

Hi guys, (disregard earlier post; AOL just 'sent' it all of sudden, while I
was still writing it....)

Long-time forum and club members will know that I have a particularly acute
reputation for causing virtually any Pantera within my reach to
spontaneously fall apart.   Not by any direct action on my part, mind you; when I work
on a Pantera, the thing I work on is always fine.   But just my presence
seems to inspire Panteras to find new and inventive ways to achieve a 'failure
to progress'.

This weekend I was down in So-Cal attending Grant Stockwell's memorial (a
wonderful event, by the way).   While I was down there, I inspired Laurie
Ferrari to get her beautiful GT5 out for a drive.   We drove it about nine
miles, parked it in an open lot, and I took a handful of photos.   I asked her
to turn it slightly to face the sun from a different angle.   She got in,
started up, drove a few feet, and this was the result!

It turns out that it had been so long (years????) since Laurie checked her
tire pressure, that her tire had virtually no air in it, and was reliant
solely on the strength of the 40-series sidewall to keep it in place.
Reviewing the photos shows no indication of this whatsoever, by the way.   But when
she turned full lock to turn the car around, the severe scrub radius of the
GT5 suspension geometry caused the bead to break and the tire completely
deflated!

Fortunately this happened at sub-walking speed, and she only drove a few
feet before stopping.

And here was the inevitable rest of that story:

It wound up taking an hour and a half for the tow truck to arrive.

On the way back home, we passed a red Pantera just parked in the driveway
of a repair shop. Once we got the car home, we took her Corvette and went
back to take some photos; #4476 is now added to the Provamo registry. :>)

We then went to visit Mike Mayberry (who I'd amazingly never met) at his
small but famous (in Pantera circles anyway) dealership in North Hollywood,
just a few miles from Laurie's house.   He was kind enough to loan Laurie a
new space-saver spare from a Lincoln so she could roll her Pantera around
while the wheel/tire situation was being sorted out.

Mike was just a super guy; not only did he loan Laurie a wheel and tire,
but he offered to fix her Pantera tire for her.   And on top of that, he gave
me a bunch of Pantera notepads so I could take them home and duplicate them
for the POCA store.

All and all, an interesting and productive day, even though it didn't turn
out as planned!