[DeTomaso] Auto Painting

bill gaino gaino at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 18 08:20:00 EST 2011

JT, I paint cars everyday for my living. I use a Sata nr 3000 1.3 tip for silver and light metallic bases. I have a Sata rp 1.4 for my clear. Sata is a good unit as is the Iwata. You can do both base and clear with a 1.4 tip. I used a Sata jet 90 alone for years, both base, and clear with the 1.4 tip. LISTEN to this story... I mixed and sprayed Dupont Centari according to the mix instructions on the can. When I achieved a lot of orange peel, I called in the Dupount tech. He told me that the mixing ratio's were to keep the VOC down in the state of Ca. He reccomended that I use 50% more reducer. Problem solved. It is hard to paint in the confines of the engine bay anyway. Try thinning the product a bit more.  There are viscosoty test devices also, but I just look at the way the paint flows of the mixing stick.  Bill 1362