[DeTomaso] POCA Forum

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Mon Jan 17 19:47:03 EST 2011

I really enjoy the PI site as well.  Primarily, because of the photos
documenting the fabrication on many of the cars.  I don't go there often
because I find it a pain to log in and figure out what I've seen and not
visited.  Today, based on Forum comments, I took the step to have new posts
sent to my e-mail.  It still takes a little getting used to trying to figure
out the thread; but, I'll stick with it a while.

We have been restoring and modifying several cars here in Texas and
collectively we seem to do a lousy job photo documenting our work to present
to others.  I know that we should start, and posting to the POCA Forum would
be a good start.

I spoke with George Pence last week regarding Go-Cart races at the 2011 Reno
Fun Rally.  PI has hosted that event at the Fun Rally for several years and
everyone who attends has an absolute blast.  Anyway, George told me that he
intends to start up the magazine again in the future.  I didn't press for a
date or even broach the subject.  He volunteered the info.  That said, while
the magazines are missed, George supports DeTomaso initiatives where he
financially can in an effort deliver value to members and other owners.  He
deserves credit for that.

Adler did a great job with that publication.  He really set the bar high
which in turn led to great expectations. Actually, so did George at the
start of his tenure. The cost of printing a full color publication on
quality card stock is very expensive.  I opine that George will now have a
difficult time making the magazine work financially.  I suspect people would
want to see several issues come forth before they sent in dues.  And then
again, there are past members who will want a quantity of subsequent issues
for free as they believe they were entitled four per year and were left
short.  This is a business model that, like most, will require extra capital
to support it initially while the car owners re-evaluate and eventually
return.

Speaking as a member of PI when it ceased circulation, it would be great to
see the publication side of the business back in gear.

JT