[DeTomaso] NPC: Oversteer

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:50:46 EST 2011

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble tying to verbalize or understand why a front wheel
drive car (my Honda Del Sol) feels so wrong in oversteer. It's very
controllable, though not really with the throttle in the usual way.
If you lift, the rear tucks right back in.  But it feels... unnatural.

With a mid engine car (okay, some Pantera content) or even a rear
engine car, it feels nimble, even if you only have as much or even
less control than with a FWD car.  Even a front engine RWD car feels
more natural.  Is it just that the rear wheels are active in the
situation that gives me comfort?  It's the difference between going
"wheeeee!" and "eeeeek"! but I can't really tell what the difference
is.

Mike, with your Scirocco, do you just get used to it or is it always
unnerving?  I'm about ready to turn in the Honda and grab an old MR2
for daily driver service, but it's a really great car otherwise.

Thanks,
sean

--
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso