[DeTomaso] Hinge spring for gas filler gill

Mike Scardina a42n8cfo at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 17:51:24 EST 2011

That makes sense to me.  Now that you mention it, I recall test driving a GTS Pantera years ago that had NO hinge spring at all and the flap stayed closed... albeit to my surprise.  I actually have an extra set of gills.  They look like the Wilkinson replacements.  They have a different set up for holding the hinge in place.  I could always transfer that mechanism over to the gills I intend to use.  I further thought a simple magnetic solution would be best.  The reason I preferred the OEM hinge spring was for the elegance of its simplicity.  Thanks for your advice.  If my homemade spring ever breaks, I'll next try half-hard 2024 aluminum.