[DeTomaso] Hinge spring for gas filler gill

Mike Scardina a42n8cfo at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 13:35:36 EST 2011

I recently bought a set of used side gills with the gas filler flap.  The hinge spring is missing.  I couldn't find a source for the springs without buying another entire gill assembly.  I saw two renderings in Pantera parts manuals, so I made several springs out of various types of metals.  The renderings did not appear to be to scale and it was hard to determine appropriate dimensions without a lot of trial and error, but I made a spring that works... for now.  Also, it was hard to find a good metal for a spring that would both take some sharp bends (without weakening and breaking over time) as well as have a good memory (to spring back).  I'm still not quite satisfied with my homemade spring.  Does anyone have a surplus spring or know of a source for the springs?  Or does anyone have a set of gills off of their car such that it would be easy to email me a photo or a pencil drawing of the profile of the spring with size dimensions?  Thanks
 for any help you can provide.  Best, Mike