[DeTomaso] Why is it hard to start cars that have been sitting for months?

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Thu Jan 13 07:23:20 EST 2011

The emotional answer: Because it's offended that you haven't given it the
attention it deserves for months. Like women, only taking them for a spin
every other month makes them cranky, shake their heads and spew fumes...

The factual answer: Because the fuel bowls are empty. And in the time it
takes to fill them, some cylinders may get a lot of fuel and foul, choke
on I assume, and when finally all cylinders get fuel, then it fires and
the selfcleaning starts. Usually some rpm helps a lot.
When I have to start my Rochester carbureted Camaro after half a year, I
use a small funnel to fill the fuel bowl with fuel. And it starts
perfectly the first time, as if it had driven yesterday.

Mikael