[DeTomaso] Why is it hard to start cars that have been sitting for months?

Tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Wed Jan 12 20:15:26 EST 2011

Charlie,
I have never had an engine that does as you describe.  I don't think its
carb. I also observe that modern gasoline doesn't seem to varnish like it
used to.  All I find these days is a fine power residue.  I have allowed my
Holley, and my Webbers, and my snow blower, and my backhoe, to evaporate dry
several times without any issue other than re-filling the float bowls.

I wonder if you're getting some valves hanging a little open after long
storage.  Do you get any lifter tapping while it is running poorly?