[DeTomaso] Why is it hard to start cars that have been sitting for months?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:59:11 EST 2011

Now I think we’re getting closer. I like the varnish theory- passages
getting clogged up and the engine suffering from fuel starvation.

I have solid lifters so the second part of the theory doesn’t apply in my
case.

I figure that the hard start problem is actually a good thing, as cranking
for 10-15 seconds before the engine fires allows oil to circulate first!

FWIW, and hijacking the thread, the mechanic who rebuilt my engine showed me
a car that had a competely shot engine, so out of curiosity he drained all
the oil, started the engine and let it idle with zero oil.

After 30 minutes of running he got tired of waiting for it to seize and
began revving it, which was the straw that broke the camel’s back and
finally meant the death knell

Charles McCall

1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375

"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"

 <http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=2323>

  _____