[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 78, Issue 11-racecar teardowns

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 14:37:11 EST 2011

Race car teardowns
Seems like things seem to come apart
before I get a chance to tear them down
and inspect... I must say the Pantera motor
is still holding together but it did come back
to the shop on the flatbed a few weeks back
Msd distributor pickup went bad... thankfully
my fellow Pantera owner Rich figured it out quickly

So far since the new motor 6 years back
and that is a record for me in a race car-max was 1  1/2 years before

three water pumps.. the current one is making noises now
one rocker arm and cam
one set of valve springs changed 2 years back.. might be time soon
countless lost collector bolts and gaskets-now safety wired
broken rear deck latch
broken collector brackets
Tach has never worked.. shift by ear
bolts falling off the window brackets.. one is loose right now
broken oil temp gauge-- too many times pegged at 300 +
blown up carbon ball on distributor cap- my buddy says the racing coil
cooks it- several times
Several fan belts cooked..it just touches the cover at 6800 rpm sometimes
ignition switch gone bad-rebuilt,broke and then replaced
headlight switch just replaced
8 sets of tires
At least the serious pieces have not come out of the engine
the billet things are working
and brakes are still good but I only run a few times a year
Love those Nascar Wilwoods
Car is close to the edge but streetable for me
and holds together better than my other toys
but it does try to shake itself to death

Bob Benson #3 Black Pantera