[DeTomaso] Alternator question

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:07:54 EST 2011

Rob,

I am using a 200 amp alternator on my GT-40. It puts out over 100 amps at
idle, if required. It is also the small Ford style alternator which allows
it to fit in the space available in a GT-40 (i.e., not much...).

I got it from Nations.
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/highoutput.html

It has worked very well for me so far. I bought it specifically for the high
output at idle. In traffic, stopped, 100+F, electric water pump, EFI, MSD,
etc. etc.

Caveats...
1) If you really believe you are going to use that much power, make sure the
wiring is up to it. I did a lot of re-wiring.
2) If the alternator does have to put out that much power, expect a single
V-belt to slip. That's why you see ribbed belts running alternators and
stuff these days...
I am still using a single V-belt and so far, no problem.

If I need to replace the one in my Pantera some day, I'll get the same
thing. They have different options, but I am using the Ford 3 wire style.

FWIW,
Kirby