[DeTomaso] is my alternator dying? (no direct P content)

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Jan 8 20:46:17 EST 2011

I'm having a problem with the charging system in my Dino-- namely that it shows slight discharge even at 3000 rpm without the lights on.
Anyone know enough about charging systems to tell me if my alternator is dying?

Suffice it to say I think the coil, ignition box, and rev limiter are all OK-- there is no huge amp drain that could be making a charging condition impossible. There is no significant current flow unless the ignition is on.

Today I did some measurements on the terminals at the voltage regulator, which I will repost here in hopes of getting advice:

I checked the voltage regulator outputs again--
With the new regulator from Fiat Plus (fits Fiat Dino):

Ignition on but not running: terminal 67 (alternator field) 10.0v, terminal 15 (battery) 10.8v  (Note that I think the battery is OK-- this reading is separated from it by wires, switches, and whatever that lead to a voltage drop)
Running at 1700 rpm with lights off: 12.3 and 13.1
Running at 1700 rpm with lights on: 11.5 and 12.3

With old regulator reinstalled:
10.3 and 11.2
12.3 and 13.1
11.0 and 12.0

Today at 3000rpm with lights off with the old regulator 11.8 and 12.8-

*Two weeks ago I had 13.5 and 14.3v at these terminals with the same voltage regulator at 2000 rpm.*

Is my alternator dying?
On a normal car one could just pull it off and have it tested, but its not so easy on a Dino. (Read as MAJOR PITA)

Thanks,

Jim